17 September 2021: ACBTA General Meeting 2021
The ACBTA had its latest General Meeting on 17 September 2021 where a new constitution was adopted. The main changes to the ACBTA Constitution include:
- Name change from Asian Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Association to Asian Cognitive Behavioral Therapies Association, to be aligned with the World Confederation of Cognitive and Behavioural Therapies (WCCBT).
- General Meeting frequency change from every conference year to annually.
- Membership now has 2 categories: Full Membership and Affiliate Membership (see Membership page for more information)
- Membership renewal change from every conference year to annually.
- Executive Committee now consists of:
- Past President
- Director of Training and Development
- Director of Research and Innovation
5-7 July 2021: 7th Asian Cognitive Behavior Therapy Conference
ACBTA had its largest event ever, with the 7th Asian Cognitive Behavior Therapy Conference on 5 to 7 July 2021, virtually hosted by Sunway University, Malaysia, co-organized by the Malaysian Society of Clinical Psychology and ACBTA. It received 7,472 registered participants from 80 countries! Majority of the participants were tertiary students (31.3%), followed by counsellors (21.4%), psychologists (17%) and psychiatrists (9.2%), with the remainder 21.1% consisting other professionals such nurses, occupational therapists, dieticians, audiologists, teachers and interested members of the public.
Registration was free of charge to provide better access for delegates from Asian countries to such international event. It was recognized that the COVID-10 pandemic has disadvantaged many countries and so the organizing committee decided to provide free access to this conference as a goodwill gesture to the delegates.
There were 38 invited speakers including two special sessions – one on Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) by Dr Debbie Joffe Ellis, and the other one on developments in CBT training by Dr Judith Beck and Dr Allen Miller from Beck Institute. The three-day conference saw 23 oral presentations and 109 posters presented. The proceedings ended with a special message from the International Patron of World Mental Health Day 2020, HRH Princess Iman Afzan Al-Sultan Abdullah of Malaysia, presentations from ACBTA, and the conferment of four conference awards.
We thank all speakers and participants for being part of our conference and making it a successful one. Our gratitude also goes out to our sponsors for the conference awards – Naluri and the Malaysian Society of Clinical Psychology, as well as to Sunway University for providing the virtual platform for free! We also congratulate the award winners – see: Conference Awards
The Conference Program and Abstract Book can be found here: Publications | MSCP
19 January 2021: ACBTA Board Meeting
The ACBTA had its Board Meeting following from the last one in 2019. This meeting was convened to formalize the appointment of the 2021-2024 Executive Committee consisting of:
- President: Professor Dr Firdaus Mukhtar (Malaysia)
- President-Elect: Associate Professor Dr Nimisha Kumar (India)
- Past President: Professor Dr Ning Zhang (Nanjing)
- Secretary: Professor Alvin Lai Oon Ng (Malaysia)
- Treasurer: Professor Young-Hee Choi (South Korea)
- Director – Training and Development: Professor Shin-Ichi Ishikawa (Japan)
- Director – Research and Innovation: Professor Muhammad Irfan (Pakistan)